OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Wait

The Wait

It’s possible that by the time I finish writing this post Jaya and Ariah will have arrived back at the motel with the “To Whom It May Concern Letter” letter in hand. If so, in a matter of a day or three we’re flying to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the second leg of this three-legged run. It’s also possible that the opposite will be true. We don’t know, and if you haven’t gathered by now that business proceedings in Africa have a vastly different nature than they do in the States, I’ll tell you that they do.

(So it didn’t happen today. The girls just returned. The file hasn’t even reached the desk of the woman who reviews it. Twice today the secretary instructed Jaya to come back, the second time, tomorrow. Ahh, but the Minister won’t be in the office tomorrow, so maybe we’ll have it on Thursday. If only! If only they understood what it has taken us (geez) to get to this point, maybe then they would shout, “Give me that file. Let me sign it! Allow these people to unify the links. Let them return home.” And I also hear the gentle, reassuring voice: this will happen when its natural course rounds the bend and glides over that one rightful stone. Be patient. All in good time.)

The language differences, even between English as a first and second language speakers, present significant communication difficulties, and the bureaucracy here seems to me to be considerably less efficient, organized and streamlined that what I’ve experienced in the States. You know, that good ol’ expeditious bureaucracy. I don’t know if my judgment above is ethnocentric or not, but based on experiences it at least appears true.

Yesterday (Monday) we delivered all of our documents to the Ministry of Family and Gender, including our request for the “To Whom It May Concern” letter/cover page, our ticket out of this country (this one’s for you Paul Morgan) with the “lad.” It was a fortuitous delivery in that everybody involved with generating this most precious letter was crammed into a small, bare bones office, including the Minister herself. They all greeted us warmly, even one whom Jaya found rather challenging last year. The Minister held Pacifique, so did the other woman. We presented them with gifts from our homeland: maple syrup, maple candies and the beautiful ceramic creations of our supportive friends and neighbors, Nick and Diane (Rising Meadow Pottery—hey guys, I really wanted to work in the pitch; it’s the least I can do). But equally as important to us flying out of here soon, this letter permits us to keep Pacifique with us at all times. The more time we spend with Pacifique, the more challenging it is to return him to the orphanage each night no later than 5:30. Logistically, it’s a slight hassle, but emotionally it feels sad; it tugs at my heartstrings. Jaya would likely elaborate with more than just sad, but that’s how it feels to me. Our desire is to care for, hold, and nurture Pacifique 24 hours a day. That will happen soon, and if soon is tonight, we’ll rejoice. (Not tonight)

The sisters at the orphanage are always gracious and smiling, and I have no doubt that their manner is genuine. They follow the mission of Mother Teresa. Same garb! The outside grounds, inside the perimeter walls, are clean. Someone tends a vegetable garden in one portion of the courtyard. The Swiss chard, collards, kale, lettuce, onions, etc. look healthy, damage free and green. I’m not certain if the kids eat from this bounty. I’m a little puzzled by the smell that greets me each time I enter through the gate and toward that garden. My guess is pesticide, maybe to stave off the swarms of mosquito “bugs” inside the orphanage. I seem to recall that smell one 4th of July when the field underneath where the fireworks display was going to erupt was saturated with a chemical agent designed to stifle the unprecedented invasion of the winged suckers who spawned outside the city of Denver one summer. Maybe I’m incorrect in my assumption, but it just has that synthetic odor. What are they to do? There are hundreds are children in there, maybe thousands for all I know. Someone told us last night that the current statistics claim 850,000 orphaned children in this small country alone.

Two mornings ago I walked down to the orphanage to pick up Paci and had to walk around the back of the building. When I rounded the corner I was immediately swarmed by, I don’t know, 15 toddlers. Each one ran up to me with outstretched arms, “Daddy, Daddy,” clung to my pants and shirt, and held on for much of my walk toward the one child I can help right now. Frankly, I was a little concerned about having them all clutch and cling to me. Many of them were dirty. Snot ran down from their noses into their mouths. Their eyes watered. Open sores stood out like a raspberry floating in a boat of chocolate. I felt desensitized, a robot on singular mission. In that back yard fifty other toddlers stood two feet tall and stared at me with either hopeful or vacant eyes. I walked down the dark hallway, opened the door to Pacifique’s room, the baby room, where thirty babies reclined in thirty cribs, some wailing, some staring off into space and others sucking from a bottle. A nurse handed me Pacifique, and I turned around and repeated the same march through humanity that had united me with me son. I could try and describe the conditions, the smells, the lack of light in more detail, but I don’t want to. I know that the sisters run as nurturing, loving and comfortable home as they can given the monumental task set before them. The regular staff and volunteers from around the world, as far as I can tell, do their loving best as well. But regardless of all of the goodness behind those walls, it really does appear to be “a hard knock life.”

We continue to wait. That means poolside mostly. It’s sunny and warm (80’s) here everyday. Rwanda is in its dry season which apparently means no rain—nada—from the beginning of June until the beginning of September. So as we wait, we’re the beneficiaries of sun rays. And we understand that our Vermont family and friends are currently shriveling from so much rain. Might as well make another Annie reference, “that sun will come ooooooout tomorrow…” We’ll do what we can to change the weather patterns with our return.

Over and out. And love, love, love!

Papa Scott

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Family, the reassurance that comes to mind has been sung to all of us through three generations. Dad sent you 'shepherd'- this one seems to fit, much like annie's 'tomorrow' promise:

Mother’s Evening Prayer

O gentle presence, peace and joy and power;
O Life divine, that owns each waiting hour,
Thou Love that guards the nestling's faltering flight!
Keep Thou my child on upward wing tonight.

Love is our refuge; only with mine eye
Can I behold the snare, the pit, the fall:
His habitation high is here, and nigh,
His arm encircles me, and mine, and all.

O make me glad for every scalding tear,
For hope deferred, ingratitude, disdain!
Wait, and love more for every hate, and fear
No ill, — since God is good, and loss is gain.

Beneath the shadow of His mighty wing;
In that sweet secret of the narrow way,
Seeking and finding, with the angels sing:
"Lo, I am with you alway," — watch and pray.

Perhaps you remember the music, and can sing a bit to each other and the baby. Scott, because of your words , I can see you , I can see J and Ariah as you go about this odyssey one tiny inch at a time, and I am so grateful for the bringing along. I feel sometimes as if you both have us by the hand, walking those lanes. What a gift you both give. Love, back to you. ... and big cyber hugs, Diana



No snare, no fowler, pestilence or pain;
No night drops down upon the troubled breast,
When heaven's aftersmile earth's tear-drops gain,
And mother finds her home and heav'nly rest.

Anonymous said...

While it must be so incredibly difficult to leave Paci each night, it is creating the effect of that 'gentle transition' that adoption experts recommend. Most adoptive parents, especially when you would be returning your baby to less than ideal conditions, would put 'gentle transition' as the last thing on their list of priorities, but having it forced upon you might be a good thing for Paci. Does he cry when you leave him, or is he ok? let's just hope you get that letter before he gets to the crying when you leave stage!!!! :) just trying to find the possible silver lining in your difficult situation. you'll all be together forever soon, and these difficult days will be a distant memory!!
big cyber hugs,
tiffani

Anonymous said...

Scott,
Thanks for the plug, it is great knowing our pots have made it all the way to Africa and into some amazing peoples hands! Can we put that on our resume???
I can't imagine how hard it must be to pick Pacifique up and return him every night with all the other children wanting you. I'm sure you smile and send them loving thoughts. I hope the paper gets signed soon! Love Diane

Anonymous said...

Dear Friends,
You are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing your journey so intimately. I look forward to the day we can welcome all of you home.
Be Well,
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

I'm hearing reports on CNN that the Hollimans have been issued the "To Whom It may Concern Letter" earlier today. Stay tuned for confirmation...

Meg said...

These posts just flood me with emotion! I am so happy that you have your sweet boy! Also, I can't even imagine how hard it must be to leave him every night. Reading about the conditions makes me yearn to adopt one of those children, too! To just love them forever! I am in awe of what you are doing and hope you get that letter soon!

Betsy said...

Not sure what to say that won't sound trite, flip and, well, annoying.
Can't imagine the patience and trust you are having to dig up. Eckhardt Tolle comes to mind. As does the fact that someday soon, your time in Rwanda will be a distant memory. You'll be sitting home in your all-to familiar living room, telling stories about how amazing, how novel, how powerful this whole experience was. Keep breathing. In and out.

Anonymous said...

Revisiting all of this now, 14 years later, as Paci and Jess make an incredible journey to Kigali. I love them so much, and in some ways can really feel that little baby wiggling in my arms at Logan, as if it were yesterday.