OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Music in My Heart


So we were on the plane and Ariah was leaning over onto my chest, snuggling up. She is the one who was sure a baby was coming to us from Rwanda . She knew it was a boy. She knew the Minister said yes the day before she informed us of our approval. The girl is in touch. She is leaning on my chest on the airplane, so quiet she could easily be asleep or just barely there, and I hear her say, "You have music playing in your chest."

Course she also told me I had a parade in my belly, which was accurate as well, seeing that I was as bloated and gaseous as could be from the airplane food that they serve every two hours.

Back to the music... turns out, Ariah has been right all along. I do have music in my heart. Pacifique is a blessed boy, he smells good (once you get the orphanage smell off him) and he is ever so soft on the skin, he has beautiful brown skin and eyelashes that go up to his eyebrows. He smiles and coos and, well... spits up incessantly. I'm wishing I brought a lot more clothes for him tahn I did, cause we need to change outfits constantly.

So yesterday was successful going thru the first step with the adoption, the sector. Apparently here we get a fancy Act of Adoption filled out where we were required to show lots of detailed papers for Pacifique. We walk into the halls of the sector which are dark and gloomy, and Pacifique startles and flexes his back. His eyes open wide and he becomes tense. It wasn't until today when I was outside the orphanage with Pacifique and walked into the halls of the orphanage to the baby room that I realized what he was reacting to. He did the exact same thing with his body as we entered the orphange, so I am guessing the dark hallway reminds him of his residence, which while they really do a marvelous job considering the situation taht they face, really isn't where any child should have to grow up. Looking in the baby room this morning, seeing Pacifique's bed and roommates was quite shocking. I do not think I have processed it at all yet- a dark, stuffy room filled with cribs so small side by side by side and filled with very small babies. Pacifique really does not cry with us, and he has had a life of un-attachment parenting so far. He is in his crib all day I suppose, gets fed when he is lucky. So he has learned to roll with it, not cry at all, and be tough.

Our document was ready yesterday, our swell lawyer went to the serious court today and was able to obtain a court date for us tomorrow at 8 am! Holy moly! Then I guess he is officially ours, although we cannot leave the country until a few more important steps are done, which could take a while.

We have checked into a hotel tonight after having stayed with dear friends the last few days... the hotel is very nice and accomodating, has wireless, a swimming pool, a fire at night, breakfast in the morning, and is at a very nice location. Right across from the famous Hotel Rwanda, the Mille Collines. Tonight the front desk man helped with my computer. A young Rwandese man, who when he bent down to type in our internet code revealed a mass amount of deep scarring to his skull. It took everythig I had not to reach out and run my hand along the criss crossing 8 inch scar lines, weeping.

So tomorrow we have court! Cross you fingers, and hope we don't have spit up (which this kid gives new meaning to) on the judge like we did on the passport photo equipment today. Reading all your messages and seeing you all write has been amazing! Truly a highlight of our days. Keep it coming and God Bless!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just saw your picture w/Pacifique- didn't even read the notes. I am just so grateful, grateful grateful. The most beautiful part is that smile of yours. We love you. Now I will go read the blog. Sleep tight - you know the rest.love to all - mum

Anonymous said...

That is the picture we've all been waiting to see! Pray with us:

Shepherd, show me how to go
O’er the hillside steep,
How to gather, how to sow,
How to feed Thy sheep.
I will listen for Thy voice,
Lest my footsteps stray;
I will follow and rejoice
All the rugged way.

Thou wilt bind the stubborn will,
Wound the callous breast,
Make self righteousness be still,
Break earth’s stupid rest.
Strangers on a barren shore,
Laboring long and lone,
We would enter by the door,
And Thou knowest Thine own.

So, when day grows dark and cold,
Tear or triumph harms,
Lead Thy lambkins to the fold,
Take them in Thine arms.
Feed the hungry, heal the heart,
Till the morning’s beam;
White as wool, ’ere they depart,
Shepherd, wash them clean.


Dad

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Emmett and Meara can't wait to see Paci!

Anonymous said...

We are so thrilled and excited for you all! Paci is so beautiful, and will hold a special place in your beautiful family. Big kisses, hugs, and a few big tears of joy!

Much much love,
Mims and Pops

The Colorado connection said...

We know that your love for Pacifique and your grateful hearts will light up the atmosphere where ever you are. Thanks for the up dates. We look at the site with joyous anticipation each day.

K&E

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

Jaya, it's been a long and painful journey, but isn't it worth it? That's how I felt the first night in Russia listening to the breathing of our new daughter! Even though that was over 3 years ago, it still feels like yesterday in some ways. As I tell her now when she challenges me at times that I'm not her "real Mama"--"born or adopted, God put a special love in my heart for each of my kids the moment I saw them, so I don't think it really matters how you got here!"

Tami of BrooksGroth said...

Oh Jaya what I gorgeous picture!!! It makes me heart sing too just looking at you ... and hearing your story.

There really aren't any words in such a time as this (just as so often during times of grief) to express it all.

I am thrilled for your entire family and continue to pray that all of the paperwork and procedures go smoothly so that you'll be back home with your newest son soon!

Anonymous said...

Your beautiful picture says it all.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am just so thrilled for you all. And sad all at the same time-- for the hard road you all have been travelling. And I can't take my eyes off of Paci. He is so beautiful! Love to you all.

Kristi

Betsy said...

He's beautiful! And so are you.

I couldn't help but share. Hope that's okay. You're giving hope and joy to so many with your story.

"If music be the food of life, play on."

Anonymous said...

Wow.. you are keeping my tear ducts very active... your photo is beautiful.
jeanne

Anonymous said...

Jaya, Scott, and Ariah,
What a profound and transformational journey. To see little Pacifique tucked in next to your heart Jaya, truly embraced, what joy. I imagine Scott's gentle, easy manner becoming a grounding force in Paci's life. And Ariah, insightful healer, natural nurturer that she is...I image the delight she will bring to Pacifique with every day they share.
You are a bold a beautiful woman Jaya! Blessings and love to you all,
Caroline, Wayne, Cassidy and Noah

Leisha said...

Hollimans-
Know that you are in my heart and prayers. David's "Shepherd's show me" has new meaning now. Pacifique certainly is precious. Love you all- Auntie Bets

Old Gates Farm said...

What a beautiful little boy! What joyous news! We are so thrilled for you and can't wait to welcome Pacifique (wonderful name!) :) into our community here! He is loved so much already. :)
safe travels & God bless~
Kris, Adam, Kaylo & Zenon

Anonymous said...

that photo is amazing. pacifique looks amazing. you look amazing. it's just the way it should be. more photos, please!!

Anonymous said...

Your beauty shines so radiantly and he looks as if he has always been with you. Thank you Ariah for your unending HOPE. Your vision is quite remarkable.
Love Diane

deborah said...

I can see, feel and imagine the blessings alive in your hearts (and arms) as each new day unfolds in opportunity. Thank you all for sharing your journey. What a fortunate family you all embody in such a spirit of loving , optimistic healing on so many levels.
May the journey home be swift, uneventful, and soon.
I bet Ariah has already taught Paci some new tricks!
Many blessings, debbie