OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thursday Update

A quick entry to update you- not going for writer's perfection here, just the basics.

Monday we turned in our paperwork to the Ministry requesting our fancy letter that would give us permission to travel and would also serve to complete the adoption process and enable us to keep Pacifique with us at all times. Tuesday they woman who needed to write the letter was out of the office all day, but with an email to the Minister herself, we were able to get commitment that the letter would be available for us the next day (wednesday). So on Wednesday morning, the Minister followed thru with her word and after waiting for some time in their office, we received the magical piece of paper. If ever there was a celebratory moment, this was it.

So we traveled to the orphanage one last time to deliver the official papers (I'm leaving out all the steps in between for notaries, banks, lawyer payments, etc)and Pacifique was sprung officially from his previous residence.

Returning home was a blessing, but after about 15 minutes of bliss, Pacifique began screaming in a way that indicated severe pain... altho he was simply ravenous. It only took about one nanosecond for us to determine that we were without the bottle we brought from the states. We must have thrown it aside at the art market, traded it hastily for a diaper to catch the one millionth puke. The kid is a fountain. Anyway, Scott ran through Kigali to the baby store to find a smaller version of our Avent bottle for a mere $20 USD, only to find he has spent all of his francs at the art center. Needless to say, it was a bit of an unfortunate introduction to living with us as parents and guardians for Pacifique.

Today we went at opening to the immigration office to request Pacifiques's Passport. That meant a 5 am rise, and one grumpy Ariah Ray. At the counter we explained our situation, hoping to get some compassion and assistance for a process that usually takes 10 business days. We showed them copies of our Saturday tickets to Addis, and explained that we needed the passport by tomorrow at 11 am or else we would be stuck here until at least next Wednesday due to the fact that the US Embassy closes at noon tomorrow and does not accomodate us again until Tuesday. And we cannot leave until we clear the Embassy.

So right now, we are crossing all our everythings that some miracle will happen and we will be able to get a passport (we were told it was impossible, but I knew to clarify: "is it impossible, meaning it cannot be done, or is it very difficult?" The answer was that it is very difficult which if anyone knows, I know, that those are two very different terms)by 11 tomorrow. If you have any prayers at all, please send em our way. I feel like a guy at a dead show, his finger in the air over his head, with a sign "I need a miracle."

So tonight we are headed to a restauarant for the first time with babe in arms. No idea how to handle that. I am slave to the bottle now, and have new appreciation for what a convenient miracle breastfeeding is! Everywhere we go, we need to strategize how to get a food source for this child. Last night he slept thru dinner which made things very enjoyable, today he has been sleeping the last two hours, so I am in for a different experience.

Anyway, he is cute as a button as my mom would say and we already love him to pieces. We will be glad to finish this leg of the journey and begin our travel to Addis. Our goal is SolarFest!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending my prayers...........
Leish

Anonymous said...

ah jaya...welcome to the wonderful mysterious mind boggling juggling world of motherhood!

Anonymous said...

wow He sounds like how Eva and Graham were with their puking as babies. I'm so glad you no longer need to take him back at night. I hope you got the passport. We want you home for solarfest too.
Love,Diane

Anonymous said...

Dear Ariah, this is Bubby. I wish I could fly right over there like a bird and swim in that pool with you.
I would let you swim under my legs or jump off my shoulders.
Are you learning any French? Do you think your brother will learn English quickly. I bet he will say your name first when he learns to talk. Your mummy said flower first I think, then 'da' then 'mum'. Tophie made truck noises. Sleep tight, beautiful girl! love, bubby

Anonymous said...

Damn! Did you forget to bring the agrimony or cinquefoil?
If you can find some there- these plants make things fair for all especially when there is buearacracy (sp?), contractual or hierarchy involved. Carry some with you and put it on all official papers!
Helena

Betsy said...

It's Friday now. I'm holding my breath again. Hoping for the best case scenario. And hoping you managed to fill that baby's tummy without too much stress.

Anonymous said...

I was out of town for a few days and am just now getting caught up on your journey again.

YAY!! You finally get to keep him and not have to keep taking him back at night!! Huzzah!

I certainly enjoyed the pictures that you so painstakingly uploaded. Thank you for sharing them. And I have to say, Jaya, that you look WONDERFUL. I can feel the joy radiating out of you in the pictures. I am so happy for you.

Ariah, I wish you were here so I could give you a big sister present. What a good sport you are being, and what patience you are showing. I can tell you will be a wonderful big sister.

I look forward to more updates soon, and more pictures when you return home. I am thinking of you all and sending you much love.

Love, Kmom

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all and hoping the impossible becomes possible-- very soon!

Love,
Kristi

naiomi said...

Thank you for keeping us with you on Pacifique adoption journey through your blog. It's so great to read every day. Well, you know about miracles. You are probably holding one in your arms. So a passport in your hand, sure, why not....
Tell Ariah that being a big sister to Pacifique is a grand thing to do. And being willing to hang out in Rwanda with just her parents and Pacifique is something to be proud of. That's not so easy when you are 7 years old. Give her a kiss from me.
Congratulations to you all.
Much love, Naiomi

Anonymous said...

Ariah I hope you have a nice time with your new baby brother. Meara. Emmett said, I hope you get home soon and safe. For every bit that comes a bit must be staying down, I think.

Have a blast with that lad!

The Morgans