OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Monday, June 22, 2009

Confluence

I sleep beneath a constant buzz of swarming mosquito bugs. I actually don't really sleep since they are so loud, like a distant hum of a mower or a cluster of cluster flies in an attic window, dying to escape the summer heat. I would like to say that I have been in Africa enough to realize when they are out of the net or inside it, but it isn't true, not at all. This morning when we woke up Ri to begin what has become a torture scene of taking a shower, we smashed four blood filled bugs inside the net.

The other night when I finally slept I dreamt of Ariah dying, a disturbing dream which fortunately I awoke from. Those of you who have lost your children know the hell I refer to that is so real in a dream, but when it actually becomes your life you awake only to find you are living hell and only your dreams actually serve as an escape at times. Now enough time has elapsed since Trace's death that I no longer have that sinking feeling when my eyes open upon waking and I take stock of the fact that unfortunately I am still alive and my life has become an unbearable nightmare. Now, even before Pacifique, I have found light in the days and gratitude for my life which I very nearly lost. I have circled back into a good life where my waking brings relief from the fears that manifest in my dreams, like Ariah dying. I awoke with her feet in my face (she was sleeping Pippi Longstocking style) but oh, how I didn't care... I just grabbed her red, Africa stained feet and embraced them, grateful to feel the warmth in her body.

The firsrt time our second son was put into my arms, I marveled silently at the warmth eminating from his body. His warm baby head was the frist thing I noticed, it felt so very different than holding Trace cold and stiff from the morgue. I did not expect to be comparing the two in that way, deep in my mother bones, my mother heart and my mother breast and my mother tears recalled the feeling of despair holding my cold son. And with Pacifique's warmth against me, milk breath in my ear, baby inhalations against my chest came a gift I was terrified I would never receive; the blessing of mothering another child.

As I lay under my mosquito net last night, having had to give the son I am loving by day back to the orphanage beds by night, listening to the swarming around me, I feel I am at the confluence of many many losses. Finally arriving to the place I have held steadfast to for two years now, searching the world and the ethers and our hearts over, I can finally rest. It was no easy feat to steer this tattered and weatherworn ship into harbor, but we are here. And now, while I could not afford to stop and look at her hull while the journey was underway, I can get off and take stock of all that happened along the way. I have lost a son, but never the dream of having a son to care for. I have lost my womb, but never the instinct to bring a child into this world, into our home. I have lost my best friend, dear Amy who passed over two years ago to the day that we received Pacifique as our son. But I have not lost her dream of raising children gently and wholly and of adopting herslef one day from a place like Africa. I have lost in many ways, or been estranged from, my cherished friend in my hometown, one who began the process of adoption in Rwanda with me, and did not finish her dream. I have not and will not lose my love and gratitude for her. And so as I lay under my net, I close my eyes and let myself breathe, perhaps really breathe, for the first time since Trace. And with the breath comes an enormous wave of overwhelming emotion. I can feel all these losses fully for the first time, and all at once. My confluence is here and it is where I move from loss to life and celebration. I don't know how long I iwll be in this harbour where I feel the losses of Trace and my womb and my friends so accutely, but soon I will be moving on in a new way toward home.

Blessed be.

Our son, Rukundo Pacifique, was found here on December 5th 2008, by two young boys. His mother dropped him here in the bushes. We haveall gained so much in finding him, and he has also lost a great amount. We feel his story pulsating through us. May his ship be at harbor as well.





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can hardly breathe after reading this. thank you for sharing.

linda said...

Dear Scott and Jaya,
What beautiful words and images. Thank you both for sharing your story. I finally found a quiet time to read about your journey as I did not want to hurry through. I cried and I laughed and I continue to pray that your ship will return home to Vermont safely. I look forward to more readings. Thank you and bless you.
Linda P

Miss P said...

Hello Ariah,
Sounds like you are having a very interesting time in Africa. So many differences from Vermont. I hear that you have met your new brother and I bet that soon you will be reading him a book! I can see from the pictures that you are enjoying the swimming pool. It has been raining here for too many days, but the flowers need it and soon the sun will come out. You take care.
Miss P. (one of your Dad's teacher friends:))

Betsy said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Catching up after being away. Pacifique is beautiful! Jaya- I can feel in my own body a sense of more completeness, another piece of you now in place, a healing of a hole in the heart. Scott- You are a wonderful father and husband. Holding your family in the circle of your love. Ariah- Pacifique is fortunate to have you as a big sister. You have a lot to share with him and he with you.
Pacifique- Here's another person who has many hugs and kisses to give you when you get home.
Love to you all!

Anonymous said...

The chills keep running up and down my body Jaya. I wish I could hold you. I am doing my best to do it in my heart and I hope you can feel me. You all look so radiant in the pictures. Love to you all! Diane

Anonymous said...

i'm totally addicted to your blog. if you knew how many times a day i check to find new posts, you guys would be creeped out. i can't express how incredible it is to be a witness to your ever unfolding journey. my favorite photo is of ariah holding paci-- she's so beautiful - i think a lot about her and the wild ride she's been on for such a little person. from that photo it looks like she's handling this new chapter with the grace and maturity she showed at eden's birth. love, bonnie & crew

Anonymous said...

Your words evoke such emotions. I too just thought of Amy yesterday - remembering June 8th. I had not realized that on this date of special rememberance of your dear friend that you received your joyful news about Paci. Just the other day, I had just gone back to savesweetpea.com and realized the site is now "down"; what a feeling. But in my looking around for a mention of Amy I came upon a wonderful passage that I had never read of yours on a animal rescue website about Amy. Your words there reminded me once again of how she is/was your angel. I can sense her connection with you now...may you be led back home safely to VT when the time is right.
Kathy L.

Anonymous said...

It's me from New Jersey again, my second post to you. Oh my goodness, your words are so beautiful. I am sending you safe travel positive energy for your family of FOUR. Oh my goodness, my heart has so many things to say, I can't even process them all. Good for you. That sums it up. Good for you. Good for you for feeling your feelings, for pursuing your dream, across the world!, for being aware of your grief and your emotions...... I tell you, my heart told me, while I was reading your words, that Trace in heaven is thinking "Oh, good, I am so glad, that my mommy is feeling at peace now." What a beautiful journey you have ahead of you. And how aware and caring of you to realize how many different things are happening to your son, when at the end you talked about having gained so much, but lost so much also. Oh my goodness, maybe spirits in heaven get to help out those they love!, and maybe Trace led those boys there to find his brother Pacifique! I'm smiling at that idea! I have not lost a child, but had an early miscarriage, and had to try for 4 years before having my children, so my heart understands a different type of loss... and I lost my beloved grandfather 2 years ago, so my heart can relate to believing that he is at peace in heaven, and maybe pulls some strings for me sometimes?! hee hee, a little joke there. I will keep on reading your posts. It will be a marvelous story to see your new life unveil at home..... all the while keeping the love and memory of Trace alive in your hearts forever, of course. I am smiling, I am so happy for you, for your son, for your daughter, for your husband. Hugs to you all today as you go home.

Anonymous said...

I know you are not Catholic, but many in Rwanda are, and I wondered if anyone had shared with you that December 5th is the eve (and when most observe the traditions) of the feast of St. Nicholas, the echo of whom became Santa Claus, the bringer of gifts and patron of children. What an auspicious day for your precious gift to have been found.