OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Friday, June 19, 2009

One from Dad

Right now I'm feeling extremely frustrated and disappointed. I just spent hours, literally hours, drafting a lengthy, detiled post, and when I went to publish it, poof, it disappeared. Apparently the wireless connection had expired or something. I really can't believe it. Below is what I had saved before we went to dinner tonight, a small sampling. I'll post it to salvage something of the offering I had attempted to make to the blog. I don't have the poop to revise it or add more at this time. Nighty night.

Papa Scott


Truthfully, I haven't the foggiest idea of where to begin, so this might read at times like a stream of consciousness, or maybe not. Like I said, I don't know where to begin.

Pacifique is beautiful. Right now he's sleeping in a basinet on top of a table next to me as I write. Ariah sits next to him playing games on the I Touch her uncle lent us for the trip (hi Toph). The weather here is lovely, sunny and warm, though the pool at our motel is unheated and nearly unbearable to stay in for more than a few minutes.

I had a remarkable experience yesterday evening. We needed to return Pacifique to the orphangage, within walking distance from our motel, by 5:30. We checked into our room at 4:45, and Jaya had promised Ariah she would swim with her that afternoon. The reached an agreement that I would return Pacifique while the two of them swam so that we could honor the return time and then get to dinner. I bundled up the little guy, cradled him in my right arm, slipped his baby bag over my shoulder and set off. It must have been rush hour judging by the car traffic and the mass numbers of pedestrians walking the sidewalks. (This ain't rural Vermont by a long shot!) People, people, people everywhere! Here and there, among thousands, I spot another person with white skin, but I'm a little white buoy on a beautiful black sea. I'm pretty certain that I caught the gaze, no penetrating stare, of about 3,000 Rwandans--maybe more--on that walk. Here I am, a single white man walking the streets of Kigali with a baby in his arms. I have no idea what the role of the father is in this culture; I haven't seen any with babies. Of course that only means that I haven't seen them. Some people in their cars honked at me, grinned tooth baring grins, gave me the thumbs up. Others just stared, expressionless. I tried to say "hello" to everyone. That minimized some of the awkwardness I felt in being stared at. I quickly embraced the fact that these people were curious of me. No one gave even the slightest hint of aggression or disqust, though I did wonder if they felt that way about me. The truth is, according to our lawyer and driver, is that they are overjoyed, grateful and in awe of the fact that an American is taking one of their own into a home in the States. This morning, in front of the court building (I'll talk more about that in a minute), a number of women came up to us, speaking their native tongue, smiling brightly and ooing and awing over Pacifique. Everyone, these women included, who finds the courage or feels the desire to talk with us also mentions Ariah. "Oh, are you the sister? You happy, now you have baby brother." It's nice to hear, though I think it overwhelms Ariah; she just kind of grins and partially averts her eyes. (Remember what I said about stream of consciousness)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh Scott...
It was so beautiful to read your descriptive words. Envisioning that scene alone, of you walking Pacifique back to the orphanage, tucked safely in your arms. Your centered countenance, open smile and tender love for the little one; yet an inescapable anomaly half a world away. Though the whole scene seems just right, sowing the seeds of peace and passion there in Pacifique's homeland. I was so touched to read about the women at the courthouse showering such affectionate attention upon you. The lesson is such a piercing one for me. You and your family couldn't be better harbingers of peace across these many miles.
I'm so thankful you choose to share these experiences with us. Cassidy had tears in her eyes as I read. She and I cried so deeply when Trace died; I held her in my lap and rocked her and rocked her. And now, imagining the warmth of Paci's little body embraced by your family, she weeps tears of joy and relief. We all do. With love, Caroline

Anonymous said...

Scott,
It is good to hear from you. What an amazing experience you are having with your family. What a story you will have to tell Pacifique as he grows. How grateful you all must feel to be adopting this beautiful boy! I feel so much joy and relief.
Love,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Scott, I loved hearing your side of the story. You must be thrilled to have Paci sleeping next to you!

I'm so sorry that you lost much of your writing. Since that happened to me, I always, ALWAYS create my work locally (as in MS Word) where it is relatively safe. Then, when I'm ready to post, I copy and paste the text into my blog. As I say-- there are two kinds on pilots: those who have landed with the wheels up, and those who will. Welcome to the club!

DB

Anonymous said...

You are once again gifted with the act of Fatherhood, and Paci along with Ariah will receive this amazing gift. It has always impressed me that there are so many wonderful possible Fathers out in the world, if only they could all be matched up with the children that so desperately need them. Thank you for stepping into that role once again.

Happy Father's Day!

The Morgans

The Colorado Connection said...

We think Caroline has beautifully captured the impression of the scene you were describing. We are anxious to hear the balance of your thoughts that slipped temporarily into the ether. We love hearing how you are all treasuring this experience and enlarging your concept of family. Love to the 4 of you.

Mims & Pops

Anonymous said...

It must be wonderful to finally hold beautiful Paci in your arms. My heart is filled with happiness for all of you. We look forward to meeting Pacifique and helping to welcome him to his new life here. I just read all of your posts for the week and am still digesting everything. wow. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. Hilary

Betsy said...

Please tell Jaya to give herself a big pat on the back for having the good sense, at such a young age, to marry you.

I am so happy for all of you and can't wait to meet the newest member of your family.

A big hello to Ariah from her little friend Esther. She is thrilled about all of this.

naiomi said...

Jaya, Ariah, Pacifique and Scott,
It's been great to watch your process with entering Pacifique into your family through this blog. He is indeed a beautiful boy. I love the picture of Ariah holding her brother. Ariah, you look as though you have always held Pacifique.I am looking forward to seeing your family already grown when you return to VT.
Pacifique, welcome into your family. With your family comes people who already love you as we have been waiting for you a long time.
Many kisses to you all.