OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Monday, April 28, 2008

What A Few People Can Do

I am at a complete loss for words and hence my silence.. that and I keep waiting for good news (or just plain news for that matter) to share with you all. So the news to report on the adoption front is only that supposedly the Ministry has "approved" our case, but now the Minister needs to sign the letter and she has been out of the office. The lawyer is going back tomorrow to check, but with the way things work there, it very well may require her to go back again and again. Nothing can happen until that letter is signed. Sigh. For a week we have been in limbo over whether or not to celebrate the "approval" but I think we will hold out until it has been signed and is official.

I think I will tell you all of the family we are trying to help...

So on one of my last days in Rwanda, I asked my dear friend Happy to show me the slums. He asked, "Are you sure?... You will cry." "I'm sure. I have been living in a very ritzy American household, I want to see another reality." So Happy took me to his neighbor's house. This is a family of six, he told me, a widow and her children that he has been trying to help for months now. Their church group has gone to clean the house and Happy has donated food and clothes. We bounce up and down through the ruts along the red mud road, Happy stopping along the way to ask through his window to the kids below where the mum of this family is. We come to a stop in front of a dirty house front and out come the kids, followed by their mum holding the five month old girl. "Muzungu" is all I can make out, the rest is Kinyarwanda that I can't understand. We go in to look around at the living conditions.


The roof has blown off, the mud walls crumbling beneath it, and the dirt floor has turned to mud with the April rains. The house is made of two rooms, one for sleeping and one for cooking. In the sleeping room is one mat where the six of them sleep together and the children are covered in bites from the bugs that sleep with them also. Above their mattress is a leaning mud wall, cracked vertically in two places. Happy and I inspect it for a while determining that it is only a matter of time before the family is buried alive while they are sleeping. The other room houses a cooking pot and branches used for fuel. The kids themselves (ages 5 months, 4, 6, 8 and 13) are gorgeous, but filthy. When we ask, we find that the woman feels it is impossible to clean since the mud comes in constantly with the rain and dust from the road. Their source of water is very far away and they can scarcely afford to buy it.


Cleaning this mess up seems impossible, futile. Looking at the wall, Happy and I are thinking the same thing at the same moment. We need to move this family. And so we do...

In a day's time we have met with the mum, received assurance that she will keep a new place clean and safe, heard her ideas for sustaining her own life, found a new house with power and cement floors, paid five months rent, purchased 3 brand new mattresses, collected new sheets and clean clothes, sent the family for haircuts, cleaned them up and moved them in!

Moving them was amazing, the mum was so excited.. can you imagine? In the morning you wake up not sure how you will survive and by nightfall you have a new home, clean clothes and beds, and hope for tomorrow! A crowd grew that day, watching us work and word spread around the neighborhood that a Muzungu and her friend Happy had helped this family. The next day Happy had five more families banging on his gate for help... you can't help everyone, but you can help where you feel called to do so.


Now here in Vermont, some homeschoolers are learning about this family and working hard to sponsor them. One family has sold brownies on a college campus, earning 27 dollars so far- enough to nearly pay for one months rent! On Memorial day Ariah will be selling her famous chocolate chip cookies to raise money for the family. In addition to helping the mum to keep her home and buy food and water, we are also researching sending her to tailoring school so she can learn a skill that will allow her to make money in the future, supporting her own family herself. Next year the kids will need $210 dollars total for all their school fees.

I will forever remember looking into the woman's eyes as we stood in her new house deciding to buy it. I couldn't speak to her with words, but I stood in front of her facing her for a moment, then we hugged and began the move.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing- the story and the photos are incredible. those children are gorgeous. it's amazing how bright and radiant their eyes are, in the context of their environment. i'm going to show guv the photos tomorrow and we'll talk about how we can help. count us in. love, bon

Meg said...

Jaya! So good to hear from you! What a moving story. I would love to help them. Will you set up another link, or should we just use yours and you can delegate it?

Thank you for sharing some pictures. Those kids are beautiful!!!! It must have felt incredible to help that mother. Thank you for sharing their story with us and for sharing yours, as well. I hope you get some good news soon!

DebinCA said...

What a wonderful story! We take so much for granted in the U.S. Please let us know how we can help. I will share the story and pictures with my daughters so we can talk about how blessed we are and think of things we can do to help this family.

Anonymous said...

This moves me so. I talked to you while you were in the car, the kids were singing and happy was pushing the car out of the mud. I cried then and I cry now.
The pictures are amazing. What a blessing. We all want to help.

Do post when the minister reurns and signs... soon, soon.

Arms of love all around- to africa and back to vermont.

naiomi said...

Hi Jaya,
A good heartfelt thing to do for this woman and her children. How that must make you feel to offer!!!!
Glad to hear that things are moving a long on the adoption. I hope you are well and happy while with your family.
love, Naiomi

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again. You really seem to have been captivated by Rwanda; I'm glad to see it. And glad to see you reaching out to the people there.

It was lovely seeing a picture of you with the Rwandan family. You are looking radiant, my dear!! I'm sure you don't always feel so, but you do look good. :-D

I can't wait to hear more about your journey, see more pictures, and hear further news about your adoption papers. Keep blogging! We're reading!!

kmom

Anonymous said...

Jaya, has there been any news?

INNOCENT NGABOYISONGA said...

I CAN HESTATE TO SAY AGAIN THAT MAY GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR HAND IN OUR COUNTRY !! THAT IT IS SO WONDERFUL TO HELP IN THAT WAY AND I BELIEVE IN THE NAME OF ALMIGHT JESUS THAT THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS RESERVED FOR YOU AND FOR ME WHAT I CAN DO IS ONLY TO PRAY FOR YOUR FAMILY TO GET BLESSINGS IN YOUR HOME.