OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Words No One Wants to Read

I'm coming home. Without a baby.

I finally had a discussion with my lawyer that helped me to precisely understand the possible time frame for all the steps involved. Communication here is difficult and for many reasons, we had not been given an accurate description of everything involved. Part of this was on the agency's end, partly from the lawyer, and also due to the fact that this is a pilot program. We are the pioneers.

Pretending that we had the authorization in hand from the ministry, the steps that need to be taken to match the child, go to the doctor, test everything, file the paperwork with the courts, have the hearing should take 3 to 5 weeks if everything is smooth. Then it is required to go back to the Ministry to finalize and then begin the Visa process with the embassy. Those two steps average another 2 weeks. AND I DON'T HAVE THE LETTER YET which adds more time. I decided it was impossible for me to stay here that long, to be away from my beloveds in Vermont for potentially another 8 weeks on top of the 3 I have already spent.

So, back I come. To be honest, it is a little hard returning to an expectant community without a baby once again. I guess the feeling would be one of embarrassment. It also is tough looking at all those tiny clothes and leaving them behind in Rwanda, when I really want to use them once and for all. But on the whole, my spirits have been lifted with the clarity of what I need to do.

I am not giving up hope. I do not regret traveling. The adoption IS moving. The Ministry has given urgent (for them) attention to this case. Apparently everyone (now 4 people) have read the file and are meeting on Monday to decide our fate (which is enormously disconcerting truth be told, but that is another post.) So it has moved fast for Rwanda. I hear that some Dossiers have taken a year to get through the Ministry, but the average fast one takes 8 weeks. We are at 3 next week. Me being here on the ground has moved the process along, so I don't think it was a mistake in that regard.

What it looks like now is that the lawyer will continue to press on while our family s together in VT. She will call when everything is thru the court and it is time for me to come back. I have to be here to go back to the Ministry and do the Visa. Another 2 weeks away from my family.

I cannot wait to be reunited with Ri and Scott. I am a weary traveler, for sure, and I already have it planned how tightly I am going to embrace them and sit in the back seat with Ri and maybe even put all the mattresses on the floor for one big sleepover the first night... it feels good to be coming back for a spell and with hope in our hearts.

Please don't stop reading, there is more to come. Many things which I have not yet written about a family that needs immediate help, about my visit to the orphanage. And we still need every ounce of energy and support and prayers possible.

Many Blessings, I will see many of you soon!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jaya,

For some reason I feel a little relieved that you will return to your loved ones, safe and sound.

I will keep on reading, of course!

Hope to hear from you soon.

warmly,
Eugenie

Anonymous said...

Jaya,

I am glad to hear you will be going home for awhile, and even happier to hear things are still moving forward with the adoption.

I feel honored to continue to share this journey with you. I hope that the contribution of my thoughts and prayers is of some small use.

Kristi

Anonymous said...

It looks like time will have to be removed from the equation, but that Courage and Strength and Hope have grown, in you and in us, and is prevailing. We will all be listening for angel messages about your journey home and about the meeting in Rwanda.
Remember,'home is the center but not the boundary of our affections'.
Arms of love all around, Mum

Betsy said...

We welcome you with open arms, open hearts and open minds. And, unfortunately for you, lots and lots of annoying questions.

Anonymous said...

It will be wonderful to see you again, Jaya. And it is wonderful to hear the strength and hope in your voice that all is not lost--things are still moving.

Feel NO embarrassment. It was a VERY necessary and worthwhile trip...for you, for your baby, for your family, for Kigali, for Rwanda and for it's people, for us who read of this journey and for those we all touch. Ripples, my friend...you have made ripples)))))))))))))

We will continue to hold you and lift you and your family up.

Much love and safe travel home,
~Janet~

Anonymous said...

Jaya, my dear beautiful and oh so wise friend!!!! I have read through your last two posts and as usual, I just keep hoping that you will continue your writing. I think all can agree that this is a gift that you have and the gift is given to us when we read.....!!!! I am happy that you are making your way home... All is well, and I believe that it is exactly as it should be. The universe knows... and every thing may appear frustrating.. worrying at times but i believe that this is the perfection that will enable you to embrace your dear baby that was meant to be your child. You have breathed in Rwanda and after three weeks, I know your life has already been transformed in so many ways. Rwanda now lives in your bones... and I believe you are on your way to doing great things for the people of Rwanda. I was forever changed when I went a year ago.. and reading your writing takes me right back there and I am even more determined to make a difference as I read every post of yours. Your writing touches the heart and soul of all who read and I am emotional reading, there is joy in my heart because I see great things to come.

I am so very proud of all that you have done and blessed beyond words to know you in this life. Your strength inspires me!!!

Our babies have led us both to Rwanda, this I am sure of. I believe that they came to show us the way .

Sending you so much love and great big (((((hugs)))))
Tina

www.meahelenirobinson.memory-of.com

Birdie said...

Jaya,
I am so happy you get to come home to your family. I will continue reading about your journey. One I hope I can embark on soon. I know you will have your baby in your arms soon!! I can't wait to hear more about Africa and see pictures. You are a brave woman and mother!

Anonymous said...

Jaya,

This was NOT a wasted trip. As someone else said, Rwanda now lives in your bones. You will be back. This will continue.

This is your "rest and be thankful" phase. Go home, enjoy your family, rest up, drink in the springtime, and wait in peace. Things will happen when they are meant to.

Much love, kmom

p.s. Looking forward to seeing some pictures from Rwanda posted on your blog when you get back!

Anonymous said...

has it really only been three weeks? it feels like forever that i've been incessantly checking and re-checking your blog. it must feel like an eternity to you. taking this trip, this leap of faith, has created a web of people, energy, and blessings that will be with you whether you are in kigali or middletown springs. and good things will come from it. see you soon. love, bonnie

Anonymous said...

Jaya,

You are being held so close in my heart. I hope you have a safe journey home, and I will continue to visualize this baby who will be joining your family.

Much love,
Chris

Meg said...

Jaya,

First of all, no need for embarassment! You should only feel pride. You also should feel smart, because you are making the important choice to go be with your family. I'm glad you went, because you moved things along. Also, next time you go, you won't have the same worry as if you went in cold AND had a baby to take care of. You kind of know the territory now. That's a good thing. I will keep reading!!! As I was reaidng, I thought, "I hope she keeps writing!"

Have a happy, safe trip home and I can't wait to hear all your stories of your travels. Keep the hope!!

naiomi said...

Hello, Jaya,
Sounds like Rwanda first had to be born in you. What a great thing that you can spend the next bit of time with Scott and Ariah. The journey is longer then we thought, but apparently, your immersion was necessary. I hope to see you when you return. Much love and lots of hugs... Naiomi

Dave Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I don't know Jaya. It feels a lot like Prodromal labor....never knowing if "today" is going to be the day, is it really the real thing, How will I know. And eventually, you just trust it. That the prodromalling will continue until its time to bring your baby to you. Sometimes for weeks, sometimes for months. And whether you prodromal in Rwanda, or prodromal in Vermont....its still prodromalling. Possibly easier to do with those you love.
Just as you carried Trace with you on your journey to Rwanda, you will carry Trace home, with all your new memories of Rwanda.
Its hard to watch day turn into night waiting for that baby to come to you....another day...another day....not today.
Its easier to wake up to the dawn and think...maybe today...
Your journey is not over, you are just changing positions, in hopes that the support you feel in doing so, will make the passing of time easier, as you wait.
Please let me know if its possible to arrange a hug at Dulles.
Namaste wise woman.

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Jaya-
Hope remains...

Emery got tears in her eyes when I shared this with her. A few hours later (after pondering what this all meant) she wanted to know if she could share all of her savings with you for another plane ticket to go back . :)

It does take a village and you have created a great one around you and your family!
Kathy

Meg said...

Jaya, I'm sure you are very busy getting home and getting settled in and being with your family! I hope you are happy with your choice. I am happy for you. If you have to wait, why not do it with those you love. Just wanted you to know that we are still here and we are eagerly awaiting your next post. Hope things are well.

Anonymous said...

Jaya,

What an impressive journey you've had and will continue to experience. I think of you often and look forward to seeing you. Best wishes in this continuing process.

Peace, Jenny

Anonymous said...

Dear Jaya,
I've been thinking of you....may your strength, your perseverence and your hopeful heart lead you ever closer to holding your baby soon. Somewhere out there in the universe, she/he is waiting for you, Ri and Scott.

Love,
Angela