OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Friday, April 4, 2008

Hope and hope again

Here I am still in Rwanda, which can either be indescribably beautiful or burdensome depending on the frame of mind. The last two days I struggled with burden, and hence my absence from the computer. I went to check my Dossier at the Ministry and who I needed was out in the field again. Till today it turned out, but all the while I knew it could be till Tuesday next week. And man did I get slammed with grief and fear and "what the fuck am I doing here"'s. Suddenly the idea of being in the foreign land seemed like the most random and asinine (no idea how to spell that word and I refuse to look in the English-French dictionary on the shelf behind me) idea. No not idea. Reality. What was I thinking to come here to this place. I could come home and call it a luxary vacation. A failed mission, but a trip of a lifetime.

So, I despaired. I read before I left that to despair is to turn your back on God. I even wrote it in my journal so as to remember it. But that didn't keep me from doing it. Each time I called Scott in hysterical tears he told me to pray. But how do you pray while your back is turned?

In my mind this was taking too long. I have become homesick and the idea of being away from my beautiful beaming daughter is eating the flesh from my bones. Literally. I stopped eating for two days and I am back down to my waif-like self in stature. All that weight I packed on for months prior to travel has melted away. So, the urge pulsated through me, even moving my feet to walk to the airport and book the next flight home. I yelled at them and they stopped. I am stuck in some thick used motor oil between my baby at home and the promise of a baby here. I can barely move and if I do, I don't know which way to go.

On the day that I am told I cannot volunteer in the orphanage until the Minister has signed my documents, I go walk the street. My eyes are puffy and red where they are not dark with circles and my contacts have turned to foggy lenses like the ones you wore as goggles when you swam as a child. I have been crying all night long. And the day before.

A little boy follows me. "Bonjour" he says. I get ready to say no to him, as is my policy here. I know when a child politely says Bonjour, he is poising himself to follow while keeping his eye on the zipper of my new Vera Bradley handbag. His way of begging. I could ignore him, but my other policy is that when I refuse, I always look into the being of the child and see him first. I always lock eyes so that I can feel what it is I am refusing him and who it is that I refuse. He is small. Dirty. A network of stitches adorn his left brow and I contemplate where he has obtained medical care. "No" I say in French.

But he follows me still. He does not lay eyes on my purse. Instead, he keeps my gaze despite my effort to keep looking ahead to the sidewalk as I walk. "Je fait". He's hungry. "Je mange". If I had food, I would surely give it to him but I have nothing other than a thick stack of rwandenese francs and tears gallore. I ask "you want to eat? Come with me." I have a plan. A plan that will at least help him with his hunger and me with my stuckness.

He follows me to my hotel. I motion to him to stay at the door, and I go inside to the bar turned breakfast buffet. "Can I buy breakfast for my friend, please?" motioning to the door where he is obediently standing. Of course I can. So I sit him down and proceed to get him food which proves to be difficult since I can't communicate with him. A beautiful young woman named Hope of all things comes over, her heart three steps ahead of her body. She flows like cinderella's fairy godmother around this child, sweeping him up to wash his hands, patting him on the head and unfurling a napkin in his lap. She brings plate after plate of food to him, opening up fruit and peeling eggs, clearing away the wrapping as he eats, keeping the tea flowing. She looks natural. Beautiful . Angelic.

She can see my awe of her and in her minimal english she tells me she loves orphans. "Mmmm," I sound. That is the correct rwandan response. "Me, I was orphan." Hope says, and I see the tears in her eyes.

This is a perfect moment, one I have managed to snap a photo of. Three of us, all wanderers of some sort, coming to the table with our burdens and feeling the goodness of life still.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. this is powerful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Kristi

Anonymous said...

Jaya, Jaya,

I have no words. You write beautifully. I am here with you, following you while you walk your path. Sending you love.

Eugenie

Meg said...

Jaya,
You have the right to have the gammet of emotions. You're still there. I can't imagine how hard it must be. But, you are strong and I know you will have your baby soon. Thank you for sharing so much with us. If I were there, I would give you a huge hug!

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that, it was beatiful. Praying for you in St. Louis, Mo!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Ahh-
"in the rich dark roots reach down
"in the rich light shoots reach up
"what the sun is saying to the earth
Soul is saying now to you and me:

grow loosen freshen sweeten - be!

This is precisely what took place with that dear boy, and your heart and Hope. Your roots are down, and you are beginning to see Shoots coming up.
Today is Maya Angelou's birthday- you know what she wants? to be a blessing! To BE a blessing. -That is what we all want for you. Be cause you are already, as is everybody in this circle of great love. Your account of this event was transformative- I feel the view shift-, and the discouragement fall away.
Patience will have her perfect work.
Arms of love all around..

Iris said...

Jaya,

Thanks for sharing so openly. I hear your courage amid your fear and anxiety, and I admire you for it.

I traveled by myself in the rainforests of Belize year ago, and I had some trials and tribulations of my own. So in at least some small way, I understand how you're feeling.

I offer my prayers and blessing for you on your amazing journey.

Love,
Iris

Anonymous said...

Emmett told me he holds a secret love for Ariah, time will tell, waiting takes so long doing is over in an instant. We are here.

Anonymous said...

I observe that often, women in labor have to deal with past business and fears before they can move on in this birth. It all doesn't necessarily have to be perfectly resolved, but usually some attention must be paid, some growth made along the healing path, some crisis dealt with and a leap of faith made.

It doesn't surprise me that this has arisen for you here; adoption sometimes is like the world's longest labor. And of course there are crises of faith, of crying out "I can't do this!" ....the mother in transition. And I reply to you what I would reply to her, which is that you CAN do this, you ARE doing this, you CAN get through this, just a little while longer.

We are here with you, witnessing your pain and your fear and your strength, and we lend you our hope and our endurance and our prayers. Remember to eat to keep up your strength for the new baby, remember to breathe, remember to find your center, remember to pray. You CAN do this.

Arms of love all around....kmom

Anonymous said...

Tears once again flow in reading your beautiful words and feeling a part of this remarkable place and with these amazing people you describe. We are here providing you our prayers and positive energy from across the world and THEY are there WITH you during this final part of the journey, providing you guidance, sharing their wisdom, and opening their hearts to you. Thanks for keeping us connected to you and to your angels.
Kathy

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

Oh Jaya, thank you for sharing your journey with us--tears--and hugs!!!

Betsy said...

"A beautiful young woman named Hope of all things comes over, her heart three steps ahead of her body."
Beautiful.
I remember telling you to have faith in the inherent goodness of people. I'm so glad you are experiencing that.

naiomi said...

Hello Jaya,
Finally, I catch on that you are in Rwanda. I tried leaving a comment last Friday, but had a problem with not getting a monster virus attacking my computer, so I waited for Steve.
I am glad the orphan boy who needed a meal was able to reach you. The beautiful woman who washed his face was able to remind you that all orphans are in need of your witnessing eyes. And how your patience are tested! Hmmmm, why is it that Jaya has such lessons in patience?, I wonder... Perhaps, so you can meet the orphaned boy...Perhaps, so you can know in your core that all things come when the time is perfect..Remember to accept what is given you from minute to minute. Keep the flesh on your bones when you think of Ariah. She wants a whole mommy and so does your child who waits for you. Jaya, though you sometimes feel small in a big world, stay committed to yourself being whole and stay committed to your mission.
Ariah waits for her Mom and her sibling in the comfort of her home and community. She is waiting for a wonderful gift that you will bring her and give to yourself and your husband. You will come home with your child and your child is worth the time you are in Rwanda. Every second. Much love to my very courageous dear friend. Naiomi

Anonymous said...

Jaya,
I am drawn to the computor like I have never been before in my life. It is the only way I can be in contact with you which is hard for me. My eyes are full of tears reading about the little boy who was so hungry. You are so strong and I know you know it. Keep the faith that it is all going to work out. I hope you have started eating again. Your baby is going to need a whole you as well as the rest of your family. I feel like you are in transition now and the pushing is about to happen.
Keep the faith,
Love Diane

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you and your difficult journey. I think you have more strength than you realise. When it seems impossible it only takes a little more to keep going. We pray for your success.

The Merrills, Terry, Laurel, Kristin, Morgan and Paige.

Anonymous said...

And you shall be a blessing.
As you go out..

much love Jaya,

Anonymous said...

Jaya,

Every day I look if there is news from you. How are you doing? Hope you are fine!

Warmly,
Eugenie, waiting patiently

Anonymous said...

Again, amazing stories. What wonderful gifts you have been given: your writing, your heart--to be open to serving this little boy. How lucky we are to hear your stories and be part of your experience. You are surrounded by angels of hope, Jaya. Can't wait until this journey is done and you are home with Scott, Ariah, Nola, the kitties, and your baby! Everything sustains you. Love, Diane D