OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Still Waiting

What is it about my pregnancies that I am required to go beyond what seems reasonable to wait? 44 weeks with both of my babies. And that amount of waiting, when you know that all that has to happen is the switch to be thrown suddenly, is painstaking. Believe me, it just is. And now here I am doing much the same thing. Waiting. For some supernatural force to come in and throw the switch so it can commence.

Veronique was there (which was unusual since it was raining. Raining? You say? What in God's name dies that have to do with staffing an office? well, in Rwanda, it is common for nothing to happen, people to not even come into work if it is raining. And boy was it ever. Monsoon. Paved roads turned to huge rapid red rivers.) It is hard to tell the reaction of Rwandenese. They are stoic, poker faced always until suddenly they laugh or give eachother five. So Veronique to me seemed unmoved, but according to the lawyer it was just the opposite and she said she needed to first scrutinize my document. She will do this "As soon as possible" which really means she has given me her word, but as to the when, which is what Americans want to know, that is left a mystery. Soon means maybe this week, maybe next. Maybe today. Who knows.

So, I wait.

And wait. Gods help me.

What is it that every Rwandenese looks at when I walk by them? Always they look at my feet. IS it that they are noticing my stylish Teva Mush flipflops that Nola has perforated as a puppy? Or are they taken with the sheer brightness of my pasty white skin? I think the later. I cannot make it down the street without gangs of kids saying, "Bonjour Donnez=Mois Cent Francs muzungu?" Or simply saying "Muzungu, Muzungu." The adults know better. They do comment though on how rich Muzungu are. The average income here is $250 a year. Namaharo at the front desk lives in a house with no running water and no power. He takes care of his small sister and small brother and has to pay for their food, clothes, schooling housing and his own all by himself. Namaharo would like to go to school so that he can get a good job (he would like to be a lawyer) but he cannot afford to since his little siblings depend on him. What namaharo needs to go to school himself is 2,000 dollars a year, US. I wonder if our community could sponsor him. We would be sponsoring three people in Rwanda for less than $200 a month. Is that doable?

I gave money to a woman yesterday. I vowed not to, because once I do, then they follow me around asking for it. But this woman had a brand new baby. And she showed her to me and asked for money. How could I not? So I did. The trouble I got into then was that everyone in my proximity had something to say along the lines of what a good person I was to help, asking for my phone number "Because I love you so much." said in a thick African accent. It took me 40 minutes to traverse a 15 minute distance. Everyone talking to me and asking for my contact info and tellig me I am a child of God.

There are lizards on the roof where I stay, and the same creatures run under the concrete that serves as a bridge everytime I step on it on my way across the ditch to the sidewalk. I live in a hotel in th ebusiness district, which affords a nicely paved road and a fancy hotel with wonderful African tea I have discovered, a patissarie and a swimming pool. So, I live in luxary compared to my friend Namaharo. His name means peace.

Namaharo was only ten when the genocide occurred. He has lived in Rwanda his whole life and will likely never have anything other than a meanial job if that. He is thin. Very thin for lack of food, and yet he makes a very good salary of $150 a month US. For three people.

Today I will go with a gentle Rwandenese Happy to the Genocide Memorial. I am a ee bit uncomfortable going with him, only because he says he reacts strongly since he was here at the end of the war and saw and smelled it all. I don't want to make it hard for him, but he seems to want to go.

So I wait. In the waiting is space, Scott wisely telle me. Space to become scared. Space to rethink things. Doubt.

Space to fight the doubt.

Blessings,
Jaya

13 comments:

Betsy said...

Thanks, once again, for transporting me. That tightly wound coil known as Vermont winter has finally given way. With a giant BOING and a great whoosh, Spring has sprung. You can almost even smell the earth. You see, patience pays off in the end.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jaya,

Waiting is awfull. I honor you that you are able to. You are doing great!

Warmly,
Eugenie

Anonymous said...

I've been looking at a lot of online photos of Kigali trying to see a fraction of what you see. Your descriptions, like Betsy said, help "transport me". I never find the emotion, as YOU describe it, in any photos, so THANK YOU for your posts.

You should definitely have a talk/slide show sometime when you return!

The waiting sounds so difficult--you have certainly had more than your fill. Sending you (((strength))).

~J~

Meg said...

Jaya,

I am sorry the waiting is so hard. But, on the bright side, at least Veronique was there! If she weren't, you'd still be waiting and not even be this far. I hope that helps a little.

You are such a brave person. Your child will feel sooooo loved to realize what you've gone through to have them. What a gift!

Please know that we are all out here cheering you on and we're excited beyond words for you. I hope Veronique comes through quickly and you are on your way to your baby very soon!! Thanks for the beautiful descriptions and for the updates. You are a jewel.
Meg

Betsy said...

I just heard Madeline Kunin on NPR, she has written a book about women in politics. She was talking about the relatively low percentage of women in political positions all over most of the world. The exception, she said, was Rwanda, where women represent 45% of government. When she asked one woman why and how she does it after all that the country has been through the woman answered, "We have to do it for the survival of our children." They can no longer risk leaving their future and their children's future up to men.
Just thought I'd share.

Anonymous said...

I wish you and your family all the best. You are in my thoughts and prayers. You are doing an amazing thing for youselves and for this child.
When I saw the quote on your blog page (included at the bottom here), I thought immediately of when my niece Kira came home to us all. A family friend found a song called "Kyra" by Jill Salkin about an adoption homecoming. It was a spooky coincidence that he stumbled across the song right before she was coming home, and it still makes me cry when I hear it. "Oh, little one, you don't know how fortunate you are, to come to a place where you'll be cherished so."

May you both make it home quickly and unevenfully!


"We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life.
But those who make their journey home across time & miles,
growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,
are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us
by God's very own hands."

Anonymous said...

it's me mum.
How strange to be writing and thinking about both children, when both are in different hemispheres and on two different continents asleep when I am most missing them, and on their journeys worlds and cultures apart and for very different but wonderful reasons. (Both can be nearly a day ahead of me but that isn't so remarkable, because that can seem to happen even when we are in the same house).
What does max say in where the wild things are? In and out of weeks and through a day-or is that the owl and the pussycat? Anyway my point is that time is indeed relative. And that when time serves us, we do find a solace and a purpose in the waiting, and time is found not to be linear, but spatial, just as Scott says. Opens up all kinds of possibilities.
You are growing my sweet girl, and reaching up and out,- remember the poem dear friend Godfrey wrote and sent me on a tape when you were born.
"What the sun is saying

to the earth
Soul is saying
in the rich dark roots reach down
in the rich light shoots reach up

what the sun is saying to the earth
Soul is now saying to you and me:

grow loose freshen sweeten be!

How amazing to think that universes will be joined soon, and all this waiting will turn into smiles and hugs and precious sweet smelling mother-and-child. You will be there and soon. -remember what we used to say about your brother- it is not how long the road is but how wide. You are in the wide part. relish it like he used to.
It was 60 degrees in Rutland today, and spooky wonderful almost tropical fog. Your grampa asks after you all the time he loves you so very much. We do too. Mum

Anonymous said...

Jaya,
Hearing about the rain made me think about what the weather was like here today. In the 60's and so wonderful in the morning. Ariah came over for a walk up our hill and we took umbrellas because the rain had begun. The girls gleefully left the umbrellas with me at the top and ran down in the warm rain pretending to be rain drops.
I am thinking of you and visualizing your new baby in your arms nursing and snuggling. The labor is almost done.
I know this waiting will be over soon.
Love,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Lovely stories from you and from your friends and family. Nice to be a part of this. Thanks for your journey--and your loved ones. Nothing but good can come of this. And what a joyful moment that will be. Warmly, Diane D

Anonymous said...

Shepherd, show me how to go
O'er the hillside steep,
How to gather, how to sow, —
How to feed Thy sheep;
I will listen for Thy voice,
Lest my footsteps stray;
I will follow and rejoice
All the rugged way.

Thou wilt bind the stubborn will,
Wound the callous breast,
Make self-righteousness be still,
Break earth's stupid rest.
Strangers on a barren shore,
Lab'ring long and lone,
We would enter by the door,
And Thou know'st Thine own;

So, when day grows dark and cold,
Tear or triumph harms,
Lead Thy lambkins to the fold,
Take them in Thine arms;
Feed the hungry, heal the heart,
Till the morning's beam;
White as wool, ere they depart,
Shepherd, wash them clean.

-- Mary Baker Eddy

Anonymous said...

Jaya,
I think of you daily. I read the words of your journey to Cassidy and she snuggles against me while gazing into space. She's transported there. I feel a part of her ache with the need to hold the babies safely to her breast. What a tremendous undertaking. Touching the souls of others and reaching to the depths of your own.

I have beautiful pictures of the trio...Ariah, Leah and Cas at their recital. I have to figure out how to download the damn things so Scott can pass them along to you. Saw 'Riah again today climbing. So lovely and composed. She and Cas paired up and bouldered side by side. It's okay here. So you can do the hard work. Pushing and waiting.

We're waiting for a foal here. A chance for the miracle to happen. Yours is waiting.
In peace and loving-kindness.
Caroline

Anonymous said...

Jaya,
Hoping in the rain with you today.
Knowing this journey is moving, transporting, tranforming.
Hoping you will find peace and joy very soon.

lots of love,

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hello Jaya,

we're still waiting and hoping with you, for you. Candles lit, hearts pounding. Keep breathing, keep working. You are almost there.

Kristi