OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Friday, March 7, 2008

Stringing you along...

The title to this post is written to the tune of That Muppet Movie song, "Movin' Right Along." Please go back and read it with the tune in mind.

I purposely haven't written here in attempt to let you all feel like I feel. In the void of not knowing. Did it work? LOL.

So. I found the Dossier. I finally (after being told "anyday" for 3 or 4 weeks) decided to call the Embassy myself and see where the Dossier was, and lo and behold... drum roll please... it was sitting on a desk there. Complete, mind you, but still sitting on a desk there.

Apparently they understood that they were NOT SUPPOSED to mail it out, and rather that whoever dropped it off (a currier service) would return to pick it up. Anyway, when I found this out I immediately had them fedex it overnight to me. Avoid the middle man, I have decided in all of this.

So yesterday was the day it was really once and for all supposed to arrive. We have decided that once it is in our hands, I will go myself and deliver it to the Ministry in Rwanda rather than having it sent there. So, this was my ticket to go. I thought perhaps I'd leave Sunday or Monday at the latest...

I waited all morning, and it finally arrived around noon on my doorstep. I opened it to find the document all stamped by the embassy and signed by Condaleza Rice (no idea how to spell her name and no desire to google it, sorry). HOWEVER... No letter!

I guess typically it has a cover letter stating that everything is deemed in order and that the family is recommended for adoption. In my case, the woman at the Embassy had supposedly heard the details of our case and was going to write a letter stating those details- that I am lactating and therefore should be matched immediately with the youngest infant possible. No letter!

ARGH!

Yes, I am yelling. I'm pumping as I sit here and type. I am tired of wondering, of waiting, of pumping, of longing, of hoping, of worrying. I just want to go! Anyway. I did call the Embassy back and apparently the woman I need to write the letter is gone from the office until Monday.

Still, I spoke at length with her secretary and she is very patient and sweet. She is supposed to be calling the woman I need the letter from on her cell, asking about it and calling me back by the end of the day. She assured me that the letter was something that would only take moments to write and that it could be here promptly. Who knows in reality what exactly promptly means though.

So you are wondering about me taking this dossier to Rwanda myself, eh? Well, the theory at work is that the squeaky wheel gets oiled. Maybe by me being there I can get things going with my presence alone. HA! Do you think this white woman will get noticed there?

Cross your fingers for me and visualize two weeks. I am in and out. Back to Vermont with a new baby.

If doubt crosses your mind screen, let it out. I need everyone's positive thinking. This can happen! Yes it can. (you can tell I am definitely talking to myself here).

Signing off,
Jaya

4 comments:

Meg said...

Possitive thinking over here! You CAN do it! I hope you get that letter super fast and you can be there and back in no time. Thanks for sharing.
Meg

Anonymous said...

Jaya - I've been following your story ever since Betsy mentioned you - I thought when you had not posted that maybe you had gone to pick up your baby. Think of you and your story and just pray that it all works out for you - you are indeed very brave and very strong and I admire you for going on. I can relate to your story and feel your pain and when I saw the picture you posted of Trace - what a beautiful boy - I am praying for all of you!

Betsy said...

Wowzah! What a story you have to tell. And you're so good at telling it. My suggestion is that you keep posting to this blog, every detail of this journey, and take notes, if you can, while you are traveling, because this is a story that needs to be told. That said, my positive thoughts are with you.

Betsy said...

"Watch your compass, pray for a fair wind and hope."
I'm watching "Elizabeth II" "That, your majesty, is the new world."