OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Friday, March 28, 2008

So much to say

Okay, I have a good connection now in which to write you. Communication here was extremely frustrating for the first three days, and all my attempts to use either the cell phone, the internet, my vonage phone, all failed. It was due to a combination of obstacles, mainly that I had no money on my cel phone (duh!) and also the fact that constantly the networks are busy here.

I have so many stories already to tell if I had the time, I think when I return to Vermont I shall host a story circle in which we can sit and I can show photos and tell of my travels. You who are far away, maybe we can set up a skype session, lol. (I'm an Oprah wannabe truth be told, and she is doing a classroom every Monday thru skype. It is very cool. )

But first, let me say that reading all your words is enormous. Mom, I cried reading the hymn. Thank you for those words. Only thing better would have been hearing you sing them to me like when I was little. Kmom, you are absolutely right, this is prodromal. And part f me wants to jump ship, abandon myself and the process and fly home. Give in feeling I have not the strength to do this for days and days, and yet here I am with no pitocin and being asked to trust the process. Your words of strength and support, your hands across the water will be what carries me thru. For this, while exciting, is not easy.

Ah, Rwanda. Really, if you ever get the urge to travel this place is it. Not that I should know since all I have to compare it to is Montreal and Disney World's Animal Kingdom, lol. But truly this land is amazing. Rolling green hills, just like Vermont. People with big hearts and smiles. But also, with so much history and heaviness that can be sensed also. The thing I was not prepared for was how young everyone is. I am older than most everyone here, and I think I have only seen about 5 people from the generation ahead of me. I guess it makes sense given that everyone who was here either fled in 1969 or in 1994. Either they fled or they were killed. My lawyer was born in Uganda and moved here later on. The waiter was born here, fled to Congo in 1994 somehow (a very fortunate escape from what I gather) and then came back four months later. The two men I dined with yesterday both came here in 1994 after the war. One was a soldier at age 16 and came back in at the tail end of the genocide from Uganda.

Most happy moments: this morning walking here to use the computer in an American residence I saw a mother and I'd say 2 year old waiting for the bus. She was beautiful and the child well... they are all beautiful to me. As I approached I saw the baby was fishing around down her shirt feeling her breasts. She seemed used to it. Next was the crowd of little kids all dressed alike in blue skirts and blue checked tops who crowded around me on the sidewalk, "Muzungu, muzungo" and they wanted to touch me. I touched them all, the soft almost lamb=like hair on their heads.

Scariest turned funniest moment: Okay, so the American I have had the fortune of using as what she calls my "personal assistant" invited me to a book club. I decided to go. Give it a try. "Can I bring my crocheting?" I ask? Sure she says, no problem. I ask her to elaborate a wee bit on what exactly I could expect and if I would be comfortable there. "It is just a time to go around the circle and each person share what they are reading You don't have to speak if you don't want to." Okay, I think I can handle this. So. We set out after a very funny incident of overpaying the hotel by thousands of rwandanese francs. We are late due to this and anyhow we pull over into the dark by the side of a road. This must be the place I am figuring when something raps on the door. I look out into the darkness but I can't see anyone. Still, Julie opens the door to the knock and me, with my PTSD, am definitely thinking "Oh Shit." I can't see anyone. No one is there. Wait. I do see something. The shiny-ness of a machine gun barrel. Hmmmm. My eyes finally focus probably due to my ears hearing the french coming from is mouth. It is so dark and he is so dark that he was really hard to see. So Julie gets out despite the Machine-gun guy and I follow and he is shouting at her as she walks away. I am a wee bit reluctant to follow her as it is just not instinctual for me to turn my back and walk away from a machine gun guy yelling at me. Still, the guard at the gate says it is okay (I guess he didn't want us leaving the car on the street) and he lets us through. The house looks very official suddenly now that I can focus on something other than my complete panic with the armed men. I ask while we are approaching the house "Um. Where exactly are we?" "Oh, this is the Ambassador's home." Just as she says this I see many people mingling inside the glass wall. "No. No. No." I say, shrinking away. turning back toward the armed men from where I had come. "What do you mean, no?" asks Julie of me just as the ambassador's wife comes to let us in. "I don't mingle," I say as the door opens. Julie hands the dish she has brought throug the door to her and tells her that she has forgotten something at home and will be right back. The woman asks me if I would like to come in. "No. NO NO!!!". Yikes. I run away down the street, past the militia men (not really, but they may as well have been to me) and to the security of Julies home and computer while she mingles and discusses books.

Anyway. There are a few little stories. You may be wondering what the heck is going on with the whole reason I am here: the adoption. Well. We filed the Dossier with the Ministry on Tuesday. Wednesday we were able to get an audience with the Minister herself to explain my case and explain to her the urgency of it all. She was very nice and said she would sign right away for us. However, the woman that needs to prepare the document for her to sign, Veronique, is out "in the field" until Monday. So, I have been killing time until then. Today I think I shall go back again and ask for her. I was told by some locals that the thing to do is spend some time sitting in her office. That way they get to know me as the muzungu who keeps waiting for Veronique. They know i need to see her and I have put in my time. Still, if she is not there today, my plan is to go monday and tell her the Minister is waiting to sign and tell her that I will wait until she has reveiwed the document and prepared the letter. Hopefully that will give me what I need to make the assignment of the child with the orphanage.

So. That is that. I will try to update again soon, but until then, please keep leaving messages. I need all of your voices of reassurance.

Blessings,
Jaya

16 comments:

Amy said...

Wow so much adventure for such a short time! Thank you for sharing in your journey and i so hope you have your babe in your arms soon.

Betsy said...

I can see the big smiles and feel the lamb like hair. I am envious, so envious. Keep moving, that is supposed to help the labor along.

The girls all got together at your house yesterday. They were the usual "fountains of joy" when I found them outside on the trampoline. All is as it should be here.

Anonymous said...

Jaya,
Here I go leaving you a message. I am really glad you are able to send back all the adventures that are happening to you. I wish you all the speed in getting to your baby. I miss you and think about how far away you are from here. Almost a week already. Ariah seems to be doing very well. Ellen had Evelyn and Esther over to play yesterday afternoon. They had been to Rutland in the morning shopping and going to the library.
I wish I could see what you are seeing over there. Evelyn wanted to see what the weather was like so we googled it. We woke up to 5" of very wet snow this morning. Evelyn groaned and pulled the covers over her head. The chickens did not even want to come out of their house. What kind of food are you eating?
I am keeping you in my thoughts daily and hourly wondering how you are holding up. What a brave woman you are. Keep well and out of harms way.
Love,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Hello again, Jaya! I was so excited to read this update today! I love hearing of your adventures--thanks for providing such a poetic visual of the country and it's people. It makes it easier to picture you there.

I just found out that "J" didn't fly out with you--all this time I was assuming she was there! Wow, it seems you are managing very well under the circumstances--I can feel your resolve and strength, Jaya, even though it probably seems at times that it waivering. Every moment brings you closer to your child. Boy, and I thought you were strong and beautiful before you left. You will be positively radiant when you return!

I spoke to Ellen today and we are going to visit with her and Ariah early next week (I have been sick all week--I finally caught a winter cold). I told her about rock-climbing and will keep her posted on any other goings-on.

Missing you and anxiously awaiting you and your childs return! Thank you so much for the updates.

~Janet~

Meg said...

Jaya, I don't know you, but I have to say that I'm so proud of you!! You are doing such an amazing thing. I don't even know if you can fully comprehend how special you are. Maybe when you've been back for a while, you can look back and think, "Wow!! I can't believe I did that!" Then you can gaze at your beautiful baby and think, "Wow...I did that!" I'm so glad you are getting along ok. I hope Veronique gets there soon and you can move ahead with everything. Thank you so much for updating. I check back about 10 times a day. No joke. Soak up the culture and then you can tell your baby first hand how beautiful the people and land are from where they came. You and your family are very special people and so will the newest member. Keep your chin up and we're all here wishing and hoping for you and sending good vibes your way. Also, it must be comforting to hear that your daughter is having fun and is ok while you're gone. You must be missing her terribly. Talk about a brave woman! Can't wait to hear more!

Old Gates Farm said...

so wonderful to hear how you are doing! keeping you close at heart- kris and fam

Birdie said...

Wow! You are so amazing doing what you are. I can't wait till I can do the same. I am envious but excited for you! Thanks for the update. I can't wait to see pics of your new little angel!

Anonymous said...

Jaya-
I continue to stay connected to you and this amazing journey through your beautifully descriptive entries. (But as you know my numerous posts over the weeks and months have never showed up. But I am determined to try again in hopes that you will get this one)...

I am so overwhelmed with joy for you that you are THERE in such a beautiful place and in the proximity of your child. I can picture you in the beautiful land your describe full of the radiance of pending birth and motherhood (full of beauty, love and vulnerability like that moving and majestic photo you posted several weeks ago of you, Ariah and Trace within you).

I concur with everyone wishes for your continued strength and courage on this leg of your journey. I can't wait to hear more good news !

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Dear Jaya,

So if you get that paper signed on monday you can go to the orphanage and find the baby? Do I hear you properly?

Sending hugs and courage,
Eugenie

Anonymous said...

Jaya,
It's Matthew...how wonderful to go back and read all your entries...I just received the link to this site...never new about it until two days ago...when you get back we need to reconnect our families...Aidan has asked about Ariah a couple of times...obviously I have had to go through what I have gone through or been going through...coming up on my own year anniversary, as you know too well...know this Jaya, Amy and Trace send you love and strength everyday...I've no doubt their tears of happiness are falling on you as we speak. So happy and so proud of you for doing this...your journey has been long, and it will be a great moment when you come home with a little Angel who deserves the love you have wanted to give a child for some time...Your friends, Matthew Aidan and Owen

Anonymous said...

Hello Jaya, it is so exciting to be writing you in Rwanda at last! I am honored that I've been able to help further your journey, even just a little. Love, Diane D

Anonymous said...

Every step brings you closer. We are watching and waiting here, candle lit, holding you and your family close in our hearts.

Kristi in MI

Anonymous said...

This is mum.
Ok, just so you know, I resorted to pulling the produce manager asside at the market and saying-hey, you want to hear some really good news? Now I have known this fellow forever, and he is just the most terrific gentleman, so I wasn't completely wacky. Well, maybe a little.
Susan, and Lizi, and Patti, and Harriet, and all their families are just basking in the wonderful news. They send all good thoughts. Our hearts burn bright,day and night, like the candles lit everywhere, serving as both a reminder of this sacred journey, the promise it holds and as a beacon welcoming and lighting the way for you and little one.
Thank you to you all, the dear friends, that J already knows, and the new ones she knows now through this cyber journal. I love seeing your entries, so I know how much it means to j.
Matt, I can picture you and your boys, those wonderful dear faces, and Amy too. Thank you for being in touch.
Hugs and kisses to you j, mum

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an adventure you are having. So wonderful, so exciting!!

I want you to remember that Trace is with you, guiding you towards his sibling, being your guardian angel and "doula" along the way. Talk to him and tell him about your days, about your worries, about your joys. I know he is listening and with you, as are we all.

Love always, kmom

Anonymous said...

Jaya,
I know you to be a woman with great love and great patience. I read about your measuring the days and moments. Just like a labor, it must be so hard...to be put on hold, to have the process stall, to have to wait for the doctor or processor to arrive, so painful. Quit watching the clock. Just like in labor, They tell time differently in Rwanda. They measure life, and progress differently. Go and be one with your journey. Be one with the earth on which you are standing, and all the life that you encounter. Bring all that you, all the strength, love and grief that you have experienced, that you know life to be full of...and open yourself up to this experience. You have everything inside of you that you need. All your world surrounds you in love.

HUGS
Bonnie

Willow said...

Oh, Jaya... I've been so wrapped up in the minutiae of life, I haven't kept up... I didn't know you were already in Rwanda!! I'm so excited for you to meet your precious new little one! Blessings on your journey, dear one, and peace be the path.

love and heartfelt blessings of the Bright Mother,

Jer