OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Downer post

The adoption is still stuck, stagnant. The explanation we are being given is that the person who needs to sign the document (the Minister by my understanding) is still not in. But I did some fancy calendar referencing and it seems very suspicious to me that the Minister would be out of the office for three weeks straight. Now who am I to pass judgment, but she is head hauncho there and I can only think of three possibilities. Either the adoption agency misinterpreted and she really is there, but just hasn't signed it yet (cause we all know how hard it is to get time to write your name in cursive at the bottom of a page stuck under your nose), or she Minister who was new when I traveled just couldn't hack the job and she hasn't been replaced yet, or they have no intention of signing the letter or just the same, there is no letter to sign. Regardless, it is all out of my control obviously and is discouraging me to no end.

Honestly, I want to quit. Kinda. Let's be honest: if a baby was dropped from the sky and landed at my feet, I would be happy beyond belief. But enduring what seems like an impossible journey at this point puts me over the top. I just don't want to expend energy on it. And you might say, "So don't. Don't think about it." But that is just not possible. If we quit I'll think about it and if we keep going, I will also.

The only thing new here is another wave of nearly paralyzing grief. I can't determine why it is surging now... perhaps this longing for a baby left unsatiated... perhaps the arrival of Mother's day. Perhaps the anniversary of my dear friend's death. Regardless, the nightmarish dreams that I had in the beginning are back. If you have lost a child, you know the ones: where you dream some hell, perhaps your child dies in the dream, and when you awake you realize there is no escape of the hell. You get to live it in real life. It is the exact opposite response from usually bad dreams where you startle yourself awake only to say "Phew... it was just a dream." Someone made a joke to me the other day when I was with Ariah. They joked about leaving our children behind with the facilitator of the group. "And never come back" the joker said, referring to the children. Oh, how he didn't know how that sounded to a mother whose child is dead. On Mother's day we attended a choral performance, some of the singers sang a tribute to mothers to the tune of Amazing Grace. All I heard of it was something about watching your child learn to walk, and holding his hand through this or that... I bolted for the door, needing fresh air and trying desperately to escape the pain of never being that kind of mother to my child.

So life goes on, but there is a painful emptiness here... a suspension between the loss and the longing, an inertia that penetrates me.

Just the other night I watched the most fantastic movie on the genocide to date: "Sometimes in April." It renewed my commitment to Rwanda and the people there. What a heartbreaking story they live every day, a journey that seems utterly impossible and yet it is taken, has been taken, one step at a time for 14 years. What a testament they are to the power of humans to endure.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do not give up.
When you have those dreams, and you will, and when you wake, think of all those in Rwanda who have not given up.
Do not give up.
But do not struggle or give in to despair. Dig in your dirt, and enjoy your family here and help your family over there.

Anonymous said...

jaya jaya jaya
i wish i could say something wise that would make you feel better. i just feel sad that things aren't easier. you so deserve everything to fall into place- for what you've been through, for the kind of person you are to your friends and family, for the mother you will be to this baby who for whatever reason has to wait longer to be held by you. but i still feel like you're meant to have another baby in your family. so give yourself some time to give up for a bit- i know for a fact that you've got lots of folks to hold that space for you. and when you feel ready to be hopeful again, you'll have company there too. love, bon

Meg said...

I think it was unfair for them to tell you this would be "fast" in the beginning of this whole thing. Now, anything that delays feels like it's taking too long. If they had told you it might be up to a year before you would have an answer, this would still be hard, but not excrushiating. I think you should try to enjoy your family now and maybe take a break from the every day grind of it all and when you get an answer, it will be a pleasant surprise. That is probably the stupidest advice ever. I wouldn't be able to do it. But, maybe think of it in a year time frame and maybe it won't seem to bad. It's like if someone told you that a regular pregnancy would last 5 months. All the way to 10 months you'd be like, "What is going on!!! This was supposed to ba fast. Now I'm huge and uncomfortable and NEEDING this baby to get out now!" But, when the baby is ready, it comes out. So, don't let everyone mess things up for you saying it will be FAST. Obviously, no adoption is fast. You have already put so much effort and so much of yourself into this, that I don't think you should give up now. But, maybe mentally give up for a while. I'm sorry if this doesn't help at all. I can't find the right words to express what I'm thinking. But, I think of you everyday and hope for you everyday and I sincerely hope you get some good news soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jaya. . . so hard, honey.

Have you investigated to make sure your agency is legit?? I hate to suggest this, but . . . . in the world of adoption . . . it's sadly necessary too many times.

Anonymous said...

Your strength amazes me. You are an amazing woman and mother. Your story has touched my heart. I know you will find the strength to get through this time. Whatever you decide will be the right thing and you will handle yourself with grace and dignity. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

jaya,

I crept in looking for good news...but alas...we are all still waiting....enduring....living life.

Meg said...

Jaya,
No pressure, but how are you? Even if there's no news, it would be good to hear that you're ok. Hope so.

Anonymous said...

Jaya... I keep popping in looking for something new. I trust all is well, even if the adoption is still stalled. There were days when we were waiting for our adoption that I thought I might lose my mind. I literally thought I might go crazy. Our daughter just turned 6 and I can barely tap into those feelings now. I'm praying that things will move forward for your family very soon.

Anonymous said...

Hello you two,we just found your site, we also have a dossier in Rwanda and are waiting for an answer since January 2008.I searched on your blog to send you an email, but I didn't found it, so that's why I'm sending you this message. We are from Belgium, you can find us and our emailaddress on www.adoptieavontuur.com , we wish you all the luck in having your baby soon!
Nadine and David

Meg said...

Jaya, sorry to be a bother. Just looking for an update. I am really worried since your last post said you were slipping into "paralyzing grief". Even just a note to say you're ok. Wishing you the best!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying you've gotten more news since this last blog entry!