OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Not For the Faint of Heart

Just like any good runner (or at least one that can run more than the one-twentieth of a mile that I can), I have hit "The Wall".

Yesterday I declared through part scream, part tears, "I can't do this anymore. Forget it. I'm done." I'm not sure what my beloved husband thought... the dear man is having to put up with so much right now, and fortunately he knows me enough to be able to harbor my storms quite gracefully after 15 years.

What you all can't see from the outside of this process is that for those of us on the inside, creating this thing is a full time job. I have determined that this beast grows exponentially. So if on Monday my to do list has two items on it, when I pick up the phone to complete item #1, it immediately turns into a 10 tiered project. Then each of those turns into the same. A whole day can explode in mere moments, and there in the background is Ariah and the dog both either pulling on my leg, pulling on each other or pulling everything down from the shelves and spreading it around the house as thoroughly and evenly as possible. At the end of a day the explosion is evident,the house looks like a land mine went off, it feels like a land mine went off, and the to-do list has turned into 20 items long for the next day (which will turn into another beastly number the following day when it all begins again). You can only imagine the shape I am in by then.

So, I threw in the towel. I'm done. I faced up to the fact that I am not superhuman, and can't possibly tow this line any longer. Ya... today I'm back at it. Up this morning by 2:45 getting going on what yesterday seemed impossible.

When Trace died, I had the feeling that every other bereaved mother or father has likely experienced... the desire to scour the earth for your child, to quite literally move land and mountains, traverse vast distances of ocean, turn over every stone, in search of your child. What hurts so darn much is sitting still, unable to do anything with the loss while your body is screaming to pour all its energy into finding your baby.

I remember during those months having discussions with Scott about our physical infertility and the choices we faced. It seemed hard, really hard to pursue another child. Not emotionally- we knew that could we conceive in a moment of lovemaking that we would do so without reservation. But physically and financially... how would we ever do it? It seemed we would have to move mountains.

We talked about just that, how if your child were lost you would indeed dedicate your life to finding him. I wanted to know if there was a difference between a child living in body and a child living in Spirit. If this child that is to come to us is our child already, even when not in human form, then would we not run to the corners of the Earth to find him?

A friend of mine, upon telling her I had decided to quit, responded with such grace. She said, "I can understand the feeling of needing to stop. It is really important sometimes to know you can say no. To try on the 'no' for a while, and then to spring up from that place into the yes, knowing you chose the path."

My mom said to me that even if I was sitting on a rock through this whole thing, it would feel overwhelming. Going through a gestation of any kind after an infant loss is tremendously emotional and stressful. I can't even manage to get out the diapers to see what I need. I did that last time, and it was futile. This time I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I am willing to search the earth over.

So, the paperwork is filed with the INS. Now we wait. Our dossier will soon be hand delivered to the Rwandan Consulate in Washington, DC. Today's job (among twenty more, including 'vacuum dog hair out of car') is to get Leahy's attention. I want them to make concessions to keep me in Rwanda, issuing the child's visa at the US Embassy there. If you asked me if I actually wanted to visit Nairobi right now, the answer would be, "No Not so much."

Wish me luck.

11 comments:

Betsy said...

It looks as if you will have no problem getting up in the night with your new baby.

You are a brave woman and I know you know that nothing of any substance in this life, nothing with any lasting value, nothing truly meaningful, is easy. Now go to sleep.

Anonymous said...

Wandered over here from Betsy's wonderful blog. I look forward to following your exciting journey towards adoption. All the best in the New Year.

Tami said...

I hope that there are others can be coerced into assistance? Close by relatives or good friends that could take over some of the labor? I understand that some things can't be ignored, (daughter, dog, husband), but the dust on the bookshelf could wait until the baby's home or could be delegated. I do like the encouragement your friend gave you - giving yourself the freedom to step back. I'm cheering you on with your choice!

Anonymous said...

I also wandered over from Betsy's blog. I love the idea of adoption and I hope to do it someday. I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I can't imagine what that must have been like. You must have a huge heart to open it again after all that hurt. Your new baby is out there waiting for you whether it's born yet or not. And he or she is so lucky to be getting you for a mother. I wish I could come to the fundraiser. I live in CT. If there is a way to donate online, I would do it. You should set something up or have someone set it up for you because I bet a lot of us would donate. I sincerely hope for your happiness and the happiness of your entire family and that includes the new baby, too.

Unknown said...

Meg,

Thanks for your interest and support. We need every ounce we can get. This isn't gonna get done by just us... it is gonna take a village of prayers and whatever you have got.

There is actually a donate button at the top of the site, above our funny picture. It is paypal, so if you have any trouble, please let me know. I guess I need to make it bigger and fancier to get attention. I kind of shied away from that as I am a bit hesitant to grovel for money, lol.

Jaya

Anonymous said...

Jaya, I just saw that you did set up a paypal thing, so I donated. I wish it could be more, but we have 2 kids of our own and that takes a lot of money, as you know. I hope it helps. You are doing a wonderful thing and I hope the time flies by for you and you have that baby in your arms as soon as possible!!! Best wishes your way.

Anonymous said...

Jaya, I thought you said you wondered what Dixie Chicks were thinking while writing the song, "Godspeed". Well, that made me curious, too, and I googled it. This is from Wikipedia, "Godspeed" was originally recorded by Radney Foster in 1999; his wife suggested sending it to the Dixie Chicks because Natalie Maines had just had a baby. I don't know if that helps you at all, but I thought it was interesting that she didn't even write it. I hope your fundraiser goes well today! Can't wait to hear how it went. Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

OK, sorry to be a bother, but I found out more about the song. It's really powerful. Here it is from an interview about the song.:

Here's a transcript from an interview..hope it helps!

Godspeed (Sweet Dreams) (written by by Radney Foster)

NATALIE: Radney wrote that song for his son. His wife was moving his three-year-old son to France because she'd met a new guy. He tried to change legislation and stop it but it just couldn't happen. A lot of people that don't read the credits think that I wrote it about my son Slade. I wish I had. Emmylou Harris was on Radney's demo. Usually we do songs completely different from the demo and we like to make them our own, but we pretty much copied his version of that one. Emmylou's is the only guest appearance vocal on the album and her voice comes in like an angel. It gives me chills. We got to play our version for Radney and his son, who was visiting from France at the time, and it was so interesting to see the bond between the two of them. His son still listens to that song every night before he goes to bed, and he's nine now.

EMILY: I think for Natalie having a little boy and me having a little boy on the way, this song is very powerful to us. I mean, we're in such mommy mode right now between the nesting and just starting families. This is just one of those sweet songs that we can imagine being able to sing to our children.

It is such a beautiful song and so perfect for your son, Trace. I can't express how much a feel for you and your family. You have such incredible strength! You are an inspiration for all. Your new baby is so fortunate to be getting you for parents and for being able to join your beautiful family. Thank you for sharing that beautiful, moving song with us that means so much to you. It is recieved with the sincerity that it was sent. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Meg. I did get your donation, and we are so thankful for every bit that comes in, large or small. We have already spent out six grand, and we have a lot still to pay for! And as for the song... well, I have yet to read thru everything you posted, but I will! Getting ready for the fundraiser tomorrow. The building looks great, it is so amazing to see all these people at work for this cause, for our family.

Many blessings!

Anonymous said...

I too wandered over from Betsy's blog. I am sitting here with tears streaming as I read about your courageous journey to find your child. About a year ago, I too,suffered a uterine rupture. A very easy pregnancy became a very complicated and traumatic delivery. My baby was taken away by life flight to the regional children's NICU before I was out of surgery. In the end, Nora is just fine and I'm as okay as I can be. Losing my womb and not being able to carry another child has taken an emotional toll, but I have my child. I'm deeply sorry about the loss of your son. I admire your strength as you go through this adoption process. It is truly what you need to do, and I believe you will find so much happiness. I'll try to contribute what I can, and will keep you close to my heart. I truly wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

Jaya sweet Jaya. I am filled with so many emotions for you! I am so glad you wrote to me! You are a strong beautiful woman. This child of yours will be so very blessed. And I believe sweet Trace will be guiding his wondeful family all along the way!

Hayley