OUR NEW VIDEO! disable site music first

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Afloat

Many would wonder why if I fought this long and hard to find Pacifique why now I would be torn inside out, feeling inept and awkward with my ability to parent him. I used to be a good mother: loved mothering fiercely. People even wondered why "me" of all people had to lose a child; as if the mother who frequents the Rutland, VT Wal-Mart and slaps her child when he yells would be more deserving of such a retched circumstance.

Pacifique is gorgeous: he has the most luscious sateen skin, huge eager eyes, a squeal of pleasure that ends in qiggles half of the time. Heck he even cuddles right into my chest and sucks his three fingers: a habit that pre-existed our time with him, a method of self-soothing necessary for orphanage survival. But now he presses against my heart and lays his warm head just under my chin, and yet I am beside myself at times with anxiety, impatience and anger. He cries and I want to stop up the hole where the noise comes from with any material nearby. Something spills or drops and I am fuming. The normal follow up question would be, "what the heck is my problem?"

I've decided that the learning curve, especially without the running start of pregnancy, required for parenting two children is a steeper incline that anyone with only one child could ever have anticipated. I have never been in this territory before: dividing my already precious little self between the needs of two children. But moreover, I realize that I have work to step into the position (that isn't even the correct word choice)of MOTHER for this wee one, Pacifique. I have been so far reluctant to become or believe that I am his mother.

I think of the woman, his mother, who brought Pacifique into this world. She grew this child under her own beating heart, fed him with her body and her breath, and rode the waves of pain that opened her entire being to allow Pacifique to push past her body and become his own separate life here on Earth. I know what it is to lose a child forever. I imagine this mother everyday, and what she might be doing or feeling. If she walked back thru the door yesterday I would have handed him to her saying I had done the best I could while she was gone. No way could I stand between a mother and her child. But it is time for me to step into the honor, the sacred path, of being Pacifique's mother. Today, I drew my protective circle around him and donned my mama bear claws. Today, if the woman who birthed our son walked in the door, I would pick him up, clutch him to my chest and pray for what to do next. No handing over, no more thinking I am just the temporary guardian of this little soul.

My blessed friend and midwife for Ariah held the space for me to see this aspect of my disconnect to Pacifique and to my mother-self. It has been uphill since, and for the first time in days, I feel I am alfoat. This is uncharted territory, this new life with Pacifique. With the support of many around me, I am slowly coming home to myself and stepping into the love that awaits me and us all.

Tonight Pacifique awoke crying, very early compared to the normal routine of needing to eat. Ariah and I ran up the stairs and found him crying unlike we had heard before. She wanted to pick him up, but I knew he needed his mother's touch, and I scooped him up and encouraged her to rub his back instead. He burped. Twice. Still he cried, but snuggled into me with his entire being. Lied against my core, my heart, with the warmth of his whole everything. This little fellow needs me and only I can sooth him like I did. He soon fell asleep, trusting me with all his weight, to hold him fully. And I will... forever.

9 comments:

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

Ahhh, Jaya. You are going through some of the stuff that is not talked about much in adoption circles, but it IS real, and does exist. I think especially maybe for some of us who have gone through trauma to get to our children, we have a hard time at first getting all those bonding emotions--those warm and cozy feelings--all down pat. But they come, with time. You are seeing that. ;-) With our Dd, she had attachment issues and fought us off so much of the time, and was very, very difficult to parent. I was exhausted with my bio newborn who arrived via Emergency C/S after a valiant VBAC attempt at home. I had severe physical injuries during the course of the C/S that led to months of recovery (and I was not totally over that when Dd was adopted at 3 months post-partum!) so lots going on. You have lots too, but it will get easier. Sending hugs from Ohio to VT. www.xanga.com/happymom4

WonderousWomanRetreat said...

Dear Jaya,

Consider to join us for A Wonderous Woman Retreat
on August 13,14,and 15

The Wonderous Woman retreat program leads and encourages every woman to connect to all facets of her purpose and value. Our approach is to create experiential retreats in beautiful venues where you can connect to your mind, body and spirit.

It's easy to take care of everyone else in our lives, but we tend to forget about ourselves.

Betsy said...

Thanks for letting us in on this. It's something most people could never imagine, conceive, or fathom-- what you are going through.
As exposed as it may make you feel, I think it is tremendous, and important, that you are writing this all down.
Rest your mind. Rest your body. Hold that baby, those children, tight

Liz said...

Ahh, you have claimed him just as he has claimed you. It's a mysterious process, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

((((Jaya))))) Many hugs. I remember thinking after James died how odd it was to hear you and other mothers who have lost a baby say my feelings were normal. How could any of this be 'normal' and it seems to me that your feelings are 'normal' but only to the unique few that have lost a baby and/or who have adopted.
I sorta saw this post coming. I tried to put myself into your shoes, and even when I was around other babies in the last year- the mothering thing was just gone for me.... I figured you would be dead tired from your trip, and then maybe the reality would come that you don't have the history to instantly calm your new son like you would if you had been there since day one. The realness and rawness of your feelings has to be freeing to be able to express and to not hold within. I think even biological mothers feel like this sometimes. I'm so glad you can let the heat of his little body just melt your soul. I'll be praying for you. For all the new adjustments to be made smoothly. I can't wait to see pictures of him in your home :)
Love,Nichole

Anonymous said...

You will find or are finding the path to your son. Even new birth mothers have felt this way and it can be a painful and soul searching process. You are on the way....Just continue to be thankful for the gift you are holding.

Tami of BrooksGroth said...

Jaya -- thank you for sharing this part of your journey with us -- such a gift. I can picture you as you comfort your son -- you two are a gift to each other!

I have been keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers -- much love to all of you!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your family today.

kristi

Unknown said...

Jaya, I cannot stop reading!!! I now have to force myself to shut the computer off. It is storytime at home after all! :D I can feel Trace Oak Holliman so completely as I read your beautiful words that just spill off the page. Pacifique is the miracle I dreamt for you & your beautiful family. He is such a love & I am so happy to know you are all safe, happy & warm in your beautiful, peaceful home ... so full of love! I will call you again tomorrow. Timing is everything, and it is so wonderful that I was visiting Boston when I discovered the great news! I LOVE YOU ALL! Special hugs & love to Ariah, Trace, Pacifique, You Dear Goddess, Scott & Nola :) xoxo